Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Wrists - The Wrists


Artist: The Wrists
Title: The Wrists
Release: 2005
Label: self released

Track List:
1. Hatecrimes
2. Lights Out/Blackout
3. Toxic Waste
4. Livin' in the Eyeball
5. I'm a Bug (The Urinals)
6. Bomb the Dance Floor
7. Gon' Freak-Out
8. Final Few

It's not every day you hear punk bands that have forsaken guitars in favor of two basses. It's been a few years, but I seem to remember Daniel (vocals, bass) telling me that you don't need a guitar, you can just play only the higher notes on a bass for the same effect. It sounds crazy but for The Wrists it actually worked.

To say this CD-R is lo-fi might be a bit of an understatement. It sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom because it literally was. Despite the highly distorted bass, raw screamed vocals, and Casio keyboard (probably the kind you used to be able to win on Legends of the Hidden Temple) there is something undeniably catchy and memorable about this disc.

I'm still surprised that I was actually able to rip this without any errors (I left the log file in to prove it). The band thought it'd be a cool idea to take the CD-R and spray paint their logo on it. Too bad my copy got spray paint on the data side of the disc. The first few times I tried to play it my DVD drive couldn't even read it.

Members of The Wrists have been in far too many bands for me to mention. The Wax Museums, High Tension Wires, Bad Sports, Frank Castle, and The Pumpers, among others I'm sure.

Download: The Wrists - The Wrists (LAME 3.98r V0) Multiupload

Download: The Wrists - The Wrists (LAME 3.98r V0) Mediafire

No comments: