Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bunnygrunt - Standing Hampton

Artist: Bunnygrunt
Title: Standing Hampton
Release: 1994
Label: No Life Records

Track List:
1. Macho Beagle
2. Mississippi
3. Favorite Food
4. Cry (Raspberries)

Bunnygrunt, from St. Louis, has been around for a long time in the indie pop/twee scene. What little I know about them I know from Wikipedia so I'm afraid I have very little to add about their history.

This 7" is pretty much exactly what would come to my mind when I think of twee. Poppy but fizzy guitars, drum beats with roots firmly planted in punk rock, and vocals sung in a sing song sort of way with lots of back up harmonies. Oh and hand claps. Can't forget those. "Cry" is a top-notch cover of a song by 70's power pop group Raspberries.

I got to see Bunnygrunt in May of 2009 with Denton, TX's Fishboy (albloltross). Sadly they didn't get much of a response from the 20 or so people there despite playing an excellent set. I blame the fact that they hadn't done much of anything in a really long time. I bet most of their original fans are old enough to have better things to do than hang out in a pizza place's basement on a Friday night.

I don't remember where it was (probably in Austin) that I bought this record for my girlfriend. I'm glad I did because I enjoy it an awful lot too.

Download: Bunnygrunt - Standing Hampton (LAME 3.98r V0) Multiupload

Download: Bunnygrunt - Standing Hampton (LAME 3.98r V0) Mediafire

No comments: