Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Empty Skulls Vol.#2 - The Wound Deepens

Artist: Various
Title: Empty Skulls Vol.#2 - The Wound Deepens
Release: 1986
Label: Fartblossom Enterprizes

Track List:
1. E.A.T.E.R. - Abort the System
2. E.A.T.E.R. - Death Wish
3. Stranglehold - She's Not Leaving
4. Half Life - Old Glory
5. Half Life - Wise Up
6. Pillsbury Hardcore - Kill Everyone Now
7. Pillsbury Hardcore - I Hate Paper Cuts
8. Pullsbury Hardcore - S.E.V.F.P.
9. White 'n' Hairy - Involved
10. Corrosion of Conformity - Center of the World
11. Corrosion of Conformity - Eye for an Eye
12. Corrosion of Conformity - Negative Outlook
13. Legion of Parasites - Dying World
14. Legion of Parasites - Boredom
15. Justice League - Looking Back
16. Colera - Em Voce
17. Colera - De o Fora
18. Pandemonium - Wir Gegen Fahren Nazis
19. Pandemonium - Sucks to This Wall
20. Crude S.S. - Svensson, Svensson
21. Ugly Americans - Buffalo Bill

How rad is this comp? Totally rad. Rad enough, in fact, that I'm not sick of it even though I've been working on this off and on for days now.

Initially when I chanced upon this record last year at a local store called Entertainmart, Corrosion of Conformity, Pillsbury Hardcore, and Crude S.S. were the only bands on this compilation that I was familiar with. They're in good company though as the rest of the bands do more than a good job of keeping up.

Ernst and the Edsholm Rebels' "Abort the System" is pretty much as punk as you can get. And I couldn't agree more with Pillsbury Hardcore, paper cuts suck. But my personal favorite track is the borderline pop punk song by Stranglehold. I really love the vocals and the guitar solo about midway through. It's upbeat and has more rhythm than anything else on this compilation.

There's a little bit of everything on this record. So no matter what style of hardcore punk you tend to favor you'll find at least a track or two that suits your tastes. I suspect most people will be most excited about Corrosion of Conformity.

Seeing as how this is from 1986 my copy has some expected amounts of scratching and general noise causing damage. I did all of the standard noise removal stuff in Audition and found it to be lacking. So I decided to take the time to go in and hand edit out as many of the audible pops, clicks, and other bad noises as I could. All told I probably removed about 200. If there are any left it is either because my shitty ears couldn't hear them or they literally could not be removed without fucking up the rest of the surrounding sound. The end result is very much to my liking. If you ignore the fact that the different bands obviously recorded on vastly different equipment at varying volume levels I'd say it sounds about as good as any new record.

Download: Empty Skulls Vol. II The Wound Deepens (LAME 3.98r V0) Multiupload

Download: Empty Skulls Vol. II The Wound Deepens (LAME 3.98r V0) Mediafire

No comments: